Friday, February 26, 2010

In the Beginning...

I started Bastards in 2002. Not unlike most artists, I was inspired by events that were going on around me. They weren't what most people would consider catastrophic or even important, but they were enough for me to put my fingers to the keyboard and begin writing.

Bastards started off as a collection of eight inter-related stories. The characters weren't all related by blood, but there was something that connected all of them. In its original form, the eight Bastards tales were modern-day versions of Bible stories. Some of the stories were well-known in religious circles, others were not, but that was the premise. As I began to write, the stories grew and the concept took on another life.

My first Bastards story was called “Gomer”. “Gomer” was a tale of a married couple experiencing the pains of infidelity. And yes, just like in the Bible, the wife was a...uh hmm...she was promiscuous - to say the very least. I only got half-way through that story before I realized the main character had more going on than met my mind.

While I was working on “Gomer”, a new stronger character emerged. His name, Marcus Clayton. Marcus presented very powerfully. He was arrogant, rude, and demanded my full attention. Not only this, but he was fine as hell (literally) and I had to give him what he wanted. I began writing Marcus' story, which was originally entitled “Before a Fall” (pride goeth before a fall) and before long, that story led to what I thought was the last chapter in the original manuscript.

So, there I was, with two and half chapters of what I thought was an eight chapter book written. I was pleased, unsure, but pleased. And then…I put it away. The very things I was writing about, fear, uncertainty, inherited teachings, all bombarded my mind and I started second-guessing whether or not anyone would really be interested in reading my work. The manuscript sat for four years with me coddling it and kissing it, but not releasing it.

Fast forward to 2006. I am now in my home office and the desire to write is so overwhelming I can’t eat, sleep, or speak in complete sentences. I sit at my computer for hours on end and in three months, working 18-20 hours every day, my debut novel was born. You all know it as What’s Done in the Dark.

So, that’s how it started. That’s how Marcus compelled me (probably with those beautiful hazel eyes) to tell his story. The concept hasn’t changed. It has become a series. There was no way I could tell what happened without telling why. For that reason, each installment of the series takes readers deeper into Marcus’ world, starting with the fruit and ending at the root. That’s why we are here today. To celebrate the journey.

Thanks for coming and sharing with me.

6 comments:

  1. wooohooo! today's the day! i'm so excited! - wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, honey. I'm giddy and laughing as we speak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on another book! The story continues...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chef Corky! Thanks for the well wishes and the visit. I appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!
    The birthing process always fascinates me. Thanks for sharing!

    Author of The Food Temptress

    ReplyDelete