Friday, May 7, 2010

Looking Ahead

My five-year plan was a lot clearer before I stopped playing ball. I thought I knew exactly where I'd be, what I'd be doing. As you know, that all changed in an instant. I was utterly amazed by the incident. Most call it an accident. I don't. I do say that it was the day I realized that Marcus was not in control. All my life, I had been taught otherwise. The son of a great negotiator, the grandson of an outstanding entrepreneur, the great-grandson of a tribal chief. How could I not believe that my destiny was great?

At first, I thought not being able to play football would diminish who I was. I was short-sighted in that regard. Now I know better. And because I know better, I do better. I guess that's my plan. To continue to do better than I did the day before. To not become stagnant and idle. I've had to learn a lot of hard lessons and, no doubt, I've got plenty more coming. The one thing I will do, though, is keep moving forward. I'm destined to do that, if nothing else.


Marcus Clayton
From the Interview with a Bastard blog series

No comments:

Post a Comment