Friday, February 17, 2012

Chapter Two Excerpt

Bishop Isaac Damascus Kay believed in the power of the Christian Scriptures. He also believed in allowing families time to spend with each other on Sunday afternoons. According to the reverend, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.” He got that sentiment from Jesus. After football and dinner, Marcus and Lynette lay quietly together while their children slept.

“Will I have to beg you to answer me?”

“What?”

“Why are you so quiet?” Lynette kissed Marcus’ neck and lay on his chest.

“I’m thinking.”

“About what?”

“About how to ask you,” Marcus paused and restarted. “You know I love tasting you.”

“Um hmm,” Lynette moaned as she kissed her husband’s chest. “I could tell.”

“There’s not a place on your body I wouldn’t touch or kiss or lick.”

“I know.”

“But it’s been a minute since we’ve done that, just now not included.”

“Yeah.”

“So why do you have a hickey on your leg?”

“What?” Lynette asked, rising up. “There’s no hickey on my leg.”

“Yeah, it is.” Marcus’ voice was steady, but he was getting angrier by the second.

“Marcus, this is not funny. I don’t have a—”

“Why would I lie, baby?”

Lynette considered what her husband was implying. “Marcus, it’s over. I told you it’s over and I meant it”

“But did he mean it?”

“Honey, there’s nothing on my leg.”

“Oh yeah. It’s there and I know damn well I didn’t put it there.” The inward storm was swiftly reaching outer land.

“Marcus, please. It’s over. If anything is there, and you didn’t put it there, it’s a bruise. So don’t go there.”

“Whatever, Nette. I know what I saw. I swear to you, baby, I’m not a fool. I know shit is hard to get over when you been in it awhile. Been there, done that. Got the little boy to prove it. If that’s the case, just tell the truth, but if I catch you, Nette. If I see another bruise, it’s on—him and me. We gon’ shoot the fair one. C taught me well, baby. I don’t miss.”

4 comments:

  1. Keep the excerpts coming. This is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scandalous! There's so much going on in that scene. I have more questions than answers!

    -D. Fostalove

    ReplyDelete