Friday, February 17, 2012

Fun Fact #3 + Flashback

Smoke and Mirrors picks up where What’s Done in the Dark left off. Need a little reminder…

Marcus returned home on a Saturday. He packed his bags, gave his notice, and went back to his family. He had discussed the move extensively with his father and had gotten comfortable with the idea of seeing Lynette full-time again. When he arrived, the house was empty. He looked around the kitchen for something to eat. Everything was in its same place. Noticing Lynette hadn’t prepared anything, Marcus started dinner. He was nearly done when his family walked in the house.

“Daddy!” The children screeched, running to their father.

Lynette walked into the house and closed the door behind her. She proceeded to her bedroom without a word. Today was no different than any other day, she wasn’t feeling well and the smell of dinner cooking didn’t help that fact. Downstairs, she could hear Marcus telling the children to wash their hands as he clanged plates together. She knew by the silence that Joshua and Maleah were eating. She had just closed her eyes when Marcus walked into the room.

“Hey,” He said cautiously. He kneeled down and rested his arms gently on the foot of the bed. “Are you OK?”

“I’m fine, thanks.” Lynette hadn’t shared any of her difficulties with Marcus.

“Are you hungry? I made chili.” He hoped to coax her into talking.

“No. Thank you.” Lynette remained very short and to the point, as the pattern had been over the last few months.

“Babe,” Marcus said rubbing Lynette’s foot. “What’s wrong?” He asked, feeling awkward about feeling awkward.

Lynette kept her eyes closed as she noticed Marcus’ tone and his term of endearment.
“I‘m fine, thanks.” She repeated, moving her foot.

“Nette. Look at me. Look at me, Baby,” Marcus’ request was somewhat desperate. “I know something’s wrong. Will you please tell me what it is?”

Lynette felt very reluctant about talking to Marcus about this baby. “I’m just not well, Marcus. That’s all.”

“What do you mean ‘not well’?” He climbed slowly into the bed and lie down facing her.

“A lot of things are not going like they should. My doctor is monitoring everything on a weekly basis.”

“That doesn’t sound like ‘fine, thanks,’ Nette.”

“I’ve got great doctors. I’m doing OK.”

“Yeah, but just OK. At this point with Josh and Lele, you were energetic and full of life. You were tired, but you were energetic,” He reached out and touched her stomach, “And you looked like you would explode.”

“Things are different, I guess.” She said as she pulled away.

“Nette,” Marcus said changing the subject. “I brought my things back. I want to come back home if it’s OK with you.”

“It’s your home Marcus. You can do as you please.”

“No, Baby. This is our home and I want to be here with you. I need to be here. I should have never left. I was just so angry and I still am, a little. I just need to be here, Nette. That’s all.”

Lynette took offense at her husband’s comments. “Why do you think you need to be here now, Marcus? I’m fine. I can handle the kids and I’m working from home. Why all of a sudden do you think you need to be here now?”

Marcus was shocked by her response. “Sweetheart…I just want to be here. I’m not trying to take over. I just want to be with my family. Baby, I still love you very much. That never changed.”

“Stay or leave Marcus. It doesn’t matter to me. Like I said, this is your home.”

“Nette, don’t say that. This is our home, Baby. We built this. We are the only people who can tear it down. I know this is hard for you, but I want to be here. Can we make this work again? Please, Baby?”

“What’s left to work with Marcus? I know you don’t want me anymore and you certainly don’t want this child. Don’t force yourself to be somewhere you don’t want to be with someone you don’t want to be with. When I deliver I plan to move, so you don’t…”

“Wait, wait, wait. What? What are you saying? Nette,” Marcus sat up in the bed and reached for his wife’s hand. He pulled her up gently, placing his hand on her belly.

“Baby, don’t talk like that. You giving up on me? Baby, please don’t. I need you and this baby needs us.”

“Marcus don’t do this, OK. I’ve made my decision.” Lynette said as she began to cry.

“Please reconsider. I don’t want any of this without you. Don’t you know that? I’m hurting, Nette. The same way you hurt all those years. I just need time to get through it, but I can’t get through this without you. Please Baby. Will you stay here with me? Not just now, but after you have our baby?”

Lynette covered her face and cried. She had wanted to hear those words for so long. Now she didn’t know how to respond. Marcus held her close and rocked her. He kissed her head and smoothed her hair. He dried her tears with his fingers and kissed her lips tenderly.

“Lynette Clayton, I love you more than anything on this earth. If you leave me, I will die,” Marcus looked his wife in the eyes as he spoke those words. He kissed her again. “Tell me yes. Please, Nette, tell me yes.”

Through her tears, Lynette surrendered to her husband. He held her all night. They talked, they cried, they rediscovered what they loved about one another.

3 comments: